Saturday, September 22, 2007

Annual Tradition

I love this time of year, when the mornings are cool and crisp, but the afternoons are still warm! This is also the time of year for muscadines! We have developed an annual tradition over the last five years of picking muscadines and making jelly. I can quickly say that the "picking" of the muscadines is not my favorite part! Actually this tradition started years ago (only a fews years ago, of course) when I was in college. My aunt, Joyce, had a muscadine vine and would make jelly every year. I didn't mind picking the muscadines back then. Maybe it was youth that kept me from worrying about snakes and spiders, but now that part makes me very jumpy. Ronnie will tell you that he has heard me squeal a few times while washing the muscadines because I found a spider. Fortunately, we've never seen a snake while picking them.


The last couple of years, Ronnie's friends at Jaemor Farms have actually picked the muscadines and brought them to him. How nice is that?


So today, Joshua and I have been cooking up the juice from the muscadines. Talk about a wonderful aroma! I love that smell! Hopefully we can find some time to make up some jelly in the next couple of days. Yum yum! My favorite part is eating the jelly!!!





No comments: